Peanut sauce is the perfect sauce for summer vegetable rolls or drizzling over grilled chicken satay. Simple tasty ingredients, and it’s easy to prepare.
5 Ingredient Peanut Sauce – a flavorful wholesome sauce to add to any meal.
It’s loaded with creamy peanut butter, minced garlic, and Asian ingredients like coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. This sauce comes together in a flash alongside your summer BBQ food, it adds a global spin to any occasion.
With 5 everyday ingredients, this sauce is really easy to make and it’s incredibly tasty!
Just remember that the peanuts are the star ingredients so the better the quality, the better this sauce will taste!
Why this recipe works:
- Using smooth peanut butter gives the sauce a creamy consistency.
- The use of coconut sugar add sweetness and umami flavor.
- The use of rice vinegar and soy sauce lightens the sauce and enhances the peanut butter.
- The simplicity of a few good quality ingredients creates a sauce that’s exactly what it needs to be – no more, no less.
How to Make Peanut Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt a pinch at a time.
Tips for the Best Possible Peanut Sauce:
- Mince small – the garlic is not going to be blended, so it’s best to mince until very tiny
- Smell the peanut butter to ensure it’s not rancid
- If you don’t have coconut sugar, you can substitute brown sugar as well.
- For the best taste and texture, look for smooth peanut butter (not chunky) with as few ingredients as possible.
- For a thicker sauce, try adding the warm water a little bit at a time to reach the desired consistency.
- Can peanut sauce be prepared in advance? To make this sauce ahead of time, mix and store covered in the refrigerator. Just be sure to warm a bit and whisk before serving to emulsify.
- How long will peanut sauce keep in the refrigerator? If your peanut sauce is kept in an airtight container, it can be kept for around 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- How do I make peanut free sauce? You can just substitute peanut butter for sunflower butter if you have a nut allergy.
- How do I make this gluten free and vegan? Use gluten free labeled tamari instead of soy sauce and look for peanut butter that does not contain honey.
I have a feeling you will LOVE this sauce and want to pour it on everything. I really want to know – what do you pair your peanut sauce with?
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
5 Ingredient Peanut Sauce
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 4 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 1 clove garlic minced (1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup warm filtered water
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to form a smooth consistency. Taste and season with salt a pinch at a time.
Soy Sauce:It’s important to use a good quality soy sauce for the best flavor. Shoyu, tamari (gluten free available), or pure soy sauce (no coloring added) will all work.
Peanut Butter:Use a smooth peanut butter with very few ingredients – organic if possible. You can use fresh ground peanut butter as well, but you will likely need to add extra salt or sugar at the end to enhance the taste of the peanuts.
Coconut Sugar:Very similar to brown sugar, coconut sugar is wholesome and minimally processed. You may substitute brown sugar. If substituting white sugar, start with 2 tsp and add more to taste.
Food Allergies:For gluten free, use gluten free labeled tamari. For vegan, use honey free peanut butter. For nut free, substitute sunflower butter for peanut butter.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!