Aren’t cheesy enchiladas the ultimate comfort food? Where I’m from, we eat Mexican food every week, and these green chile chicken enchiladas are like a big hug after a long day.
Does anybody else feel a sense of conflict when reading off a restaurant menu? Little decisions like red sauce or green can drive me nuts. What if we love the bitterness of a good red but crave the tanginess of a green tomatillo chile sauce?
I guess we just have to console ourselves with the fact that regardless of the color, we know that good enchiladas always have that gooey quality of melted cheese, pliable corn tortillas, and hot-‘n-generous sauce.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!
Mexican Salsa Verde
Since a good enchilada is all about the sauce, let’s dive right in. There’s canned salsa verde in this recipe which is a mixture of green tomatoes and chile peppers, but there’s also cream cheese which blends seamlessly for the ultimate creamy white and green enchilada sauce.
How to Make Easy, Flavorful Enchiladas
Since we cook the sauce with the chicken low-and-slow for 5 hours in the crock pot, we get a magnified chicken flavor. To make these enchiladas, there’s probably no more than 30 minutes of active time.
You’re literally throwing ingredients in a crock pot and walking away — here’s the link for the chicken: green chile chicken. Once you have the fall apart chicken in all its juices, you just have to form the enchiladas. Then, broil them for less than 10 minutes.
Here in Arizona, we like our Mexican food spicy, so I’ve added jalapeno as a garnish. My husband’s philosophy is that the more jalapenos, the more he loves a dish. We both polished off 6 portions of this and an entire jalapeno in 2 days, but feel free to leave them off if you like.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- canola oil for frying
- 1 package white or yellow corn tortillas
- 8 oz white cheese shredded
- 1 whole jalapeno thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 oz cilantro optional
- 1 lime optional
- Follow instructions for green chile chicken crock pot. Separate the shredded chicken from the sauce and set aside.
- Coat a pan with oil and cook the tortillas over medium heat just until pliable and slightly golden. Place tortillas inside of paper towels to keep warm and to blot excess oil. Repeat.
- Form the enchiladas one at a time by placing the shredded chicken inside the tortilla and folding each end over like a burrito. Place seam side down inside a large baking dish. Repeat so that the enchilada rolls fit tightly in a single layer.
- Pour the sauce about half way up the enchiladas, then sprinkle generously with shredded cheese. Add sliced jalapenos for a spicy flavor. Place under the broiler just until the cheese melts and forms a golden color. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime if you like.
Thank you for being here! Did you make this recipe? Click on the star rating or leave a comment below. I’d love to hear how you got on. Connect with me @thefrayedapron on Instagram or Pinterest.