Smooth and creamy, Vietnamese iced coffee is a combination of half and half, condensed milk, and coffee. My favorite Vietnamese coffee shop brews their coffee in a french press, adding boba, and a scoop of coffee ice cream. It’s rich and heavenly.
Today, I’m sharing an everyday coffee fix solution that can be made in your standard drip machine. If you want to make it the Vietnamese way, I recommend this outdoorsy french press because you can take it camping, and it produces really clean tasting brew.
As I sit here drinking my iced coffee, I’m looking out the window thinking about dinner. Do I make goulash or take advantage of all the corn that I just bought at the farmer’s market? I’m leaning towards goulash…
How to Get the signature Creamy, Smooth Vietnamese Iced Coffee
It’s important when making iced coffee to allow the coffee to cool. Otherwise, the ice will melt and water things down. I’ve found that the roundest, best taste comes from letting the coffee cool in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
While it’s cooling, any dark matter (coffee sludge) sinks to the bottom. You don’t want that bitter stuff in your drink so just transfer it into a pitcher if you can and toss out any sediment on the bottom. Really stir in the condensed milk, sugar, and cream.
Pour over lots of ice. That’s it. What a nice, refreshing drink to start the day!
Fair warning, Vietnamese coffee has a reputation for being sweet, so feel free to reduce (or increase) the amount of sugar to your preference. Ok, I’m picturing you drinking your coffee. Here’s a cheers to an awesome week!
Smooth and Creamy Vietnamese Iced Coffee
- Coffee Maker or French Press
- 4 cups coffee cooled
- 6 tbsp sweetned condensed milk
- 1-2 tbsp sugar optional (to taste)
- 2 tbsp half and half
- Cool the coffee and transfer to a pitcher. Coffee sediment that sinks to the bottom should be discarded as it can interfere with the smooth, round flavor of the drink.
- Vigorously stir the coffee with the sweetened condensed milk, sugar (if adding), and half and half. You want it to be really smooth. Pour over lots of ice and enjoy right away. Have a great day!
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!