Ever since making the cherry clafoutis, I’ve been meaning to experiment with other flavor profiles and flours. This blueberry buttermilk clafoutis proves that this French dessert is highly adaptable and perfect for testing out different flours, even seasonal fruit.
What is clafoutis?
Clafoutis is basically a custard cake made with eggs, sugar, and a small amount of flour with fruit baked into it. This one has a pleasant floral flavor from fresh lemon zest, where the sweet and sour flavor of blueberry pairs seamlessly with the tang of buttermilk. I decided to experiment with rice flour (it works!), but you could use almond flour or all-purpose flour, too.
How to bake the clafoutis in a Dutch oven
As you can see, I made my clafoutis in a medium size Dutch oven (about 4.5 quart), which acts just like a medium size casserole baking dish (about 10 – by 8-inch) in the oven on the middle rack. Obviously, I used blueberries, but there’s no reason you couldn’t try raspberries, cherries, or blackberries in this recipe.
How do I make my own buttermilk?
You can make buttermilk yourself. You need 1 cup whole milk (2% works too) plus 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. I typically use apple cider vinegar. Wait 5 minutes for the milk to curdle, remove 1 tablespoon liquid and proceed with the recipe (which calls for 1 cup).
Buttermilk Blueberry Clafoutis
- 8 oz fresh blueberries
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar or light coconut sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white rice flour or almond flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a small baking dish (approx 8 x 10 – inches) with unsalted butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugars, buttermilk, vanilla, salt, and rice flour until smooth. Pour over the blueberries.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 350°F and continue baking until the top swells and is springy to the touch, 24 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and fresh lemon zest. Serve warm. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which may pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you!